The Konkan beaches along the Western coast of India have numerous surprises and Tarkarli beach is one of them. A coral beach, it is one of the best places in India to go Scuba Diving. People who have visited this place have given high ratings to it for visibility, Marine life, and Diving options. Interested? Then read on…
Introduction about scuba diving
Scuba diving means plunging underwater wearing a breathing apparatus. Scuba diving is both a Professional and recreational activity. Professionals practice scuba diving for scientific, public and military purposes.
As a recreational activity, it is also called sport diving. There are various training institutes that can help one learn Scuba Diving. Minimum level fitness required is mandatory for any institute you opt to train.
Things required for scuba diving are breathing apparatus, comfortable swimwear, fins for feet, mask to improve vision and bouncy control equipment to move above and under water.
The training institutes usually provide all the gear required for this activity.
There are different levels of certification:
- Beginner – On completion of this level the diver can now dive with confidence along with dive equipment’s underwater
- Advanced – This is the next stage of diving when the diver becomes an expert Scuba Diver
- Rescue diver – At this level, the diver can take care of another diver
- Dive Guide – Divers with this certificate can lead groups and explain SOPs
- Dive instructor – are the ones who Teach, test and provide certificates to beginners
Scuba Diving is relatively safe as compared to other sporting activities. Thousands have enjoyed this activity around the world. Following the rules, procedures and SOPS is the key to safe scuba diving. The most important rule to follow for this sport is to enter the waters only when you are physically fit.
Of course, there are minor medical issues that arise due to scuba diving. This may include sunburn, dehydration, and seasickness.
Why Tarkarli is best for scuba diving
It is a village situated in Tarkarli Malvan, Maharashtra. It is very close to Goa and Belgaum. The nearest airport is Goa some 100 km away. The railhead nearby is Kudal, at a distance of 35 kilometers. The place is accessible by road from Mumbai and Pune also.
It has one of the best beaches in the Konkan for Scuba diving. It is one of the must-visit places ashore the Arabian Sea. The Water here is crystal clear and steady. This place has facilities for various other water sports too.
The most famous water sport here is Scuba Diving. There are facilities for this water sport in the vicinity at Sindhudurg fort as well as Tsunami Island.
Here is why this place is the best place for scuba diving:
- It has crystal clear and placid waters in the whole of Konkan region, conducive for Scuba diving
- Coral reefs, sea plants, exotic fishes and dolphins are aplenty here and one can view them during the scuba diving adventures under the sea.
- It has India’s first integrated scuba training center, the IISDA, set in natural surroundings. The equipment used is “A” class and the trainers are true professionals who first train in the classrooms and then underwater. This center has its own diving pool, classrooms and conference hall. It also has a resort with a restaurant, AC rooms, and suites facing the sea.
- There are other famed and affordable scuba diving schools in the same locality. Most institutes have modern equipment so that you do not feel discomfort underwater world.
- The best trainers are available and you can learn ropes of scuba diving in a few hours by following the SOPs and instructions of the trainers.
- In spite of the presence of modern equipment, the prices for Scuba diving here is nominal as compared to other places with the same facilities across the country.
- One can dive up to 20 meters at some points here and have a look at puffer fish, butterfish, barracudas, angelfish and parrot fish.
- Some trainers could provide wholesome local food for Breakfast and lunch as well. Other complementary features could include jet ski speed boat, Parasailing, banana boat rides, and snorkeling
Discovery of a cave, an exotic fish or a wreck only adds to the drama of scuba diving here. One can make create great memories by clicking photographs underwater.
This beach itself is very near to many cities in Maharashtra. A weekend trip on a four-wheeler or two-wheeler is a good idea for people wary of work pressure and pressing schedules.
So, now that you are convinced that Scuba diving here has no parallels, what to do next? Here are some details to prepare yourself and enjoy this beautiful beach…
Find a verified Scuba diving provider online, on-site or through friends. Approach the trainer and get going. You will go through a training session in shallow water first. The real experience comes only later.
What to bring in?
- Bathing suit
- Extra set of clothes
- Scuba Diving Packages
The average price for Scuba diving in this awesome beach is around Rs.2500/- for pick up and drop (2hours), breakfast lunch, photos videos, diving and certificate
- Scuba diving best time
This area gets heavy rains during the monsoons. In summer it is scorching hot and humid. So the winter season is the best bet for good scuba diving experience. This could mean between the months of October to April.
- Scuba diving age limit
The minimum age for diving is 10 years. The training institutes offer other introductory programme’s for kids younger than ten too.
- Scuba diving timings
The Scuba diving timings are between 9.30 am to 7.30 pm
Other water sports at Tarkarli
These are inflatable boats that do not use power but are pulled along by sped boats or jet skis. Two to ten men can sit on it comfortably, resting their legs on the sides.
Jet Ski can hold a load of 400 lbs equal to a minimum of two men. Safety measures found in jet skis include a fire extinguisher, whistle, and life jackets and kill cords. These cords can be used to cut off the power of the ski if a driver has slipped into the water by mistake.
People who want a bouncy and adventurous ride can sit on Bumper Tube. Tagged over water by speed boats, it can easily hold 2 or 4 people on it.
Kayaks are small narrow boat manually propelled with help of a double-bladed paddle. 2 to 4 members can travel in this. It has safety measures such as spray deck so that water does not enter inside and capsize the boat.
Two people can ride together and zoom over water on a water scooter with a motor-bike like speed.
It is a much sought after activity. The parasailing person is held by a canopy wing and is towed by boat. Minimum of two people can parasail together. The view from the top of the Karli river and Devbaug beach is awe-inspiring.
There are other attractions nearby. You can visit the Sindhudurgh Fort that is a very short distance from the beach. There is the Malvan Marine Sanctuary, Raghunath market, Devbaug beach and Rock garden that is worth peeking into. Also, the local seafood is out of this world.
Tarkarli is hence the most adventurous beach with best facilities for Scuba Diving in the whole of Konkan. Now that winter has set in, why not pack your bags and set out to this adventure-filled place for the ensuing weekend or Holiday season.